If you’re into a wide variety of sci-fi, you’ll probably feel either vindicated or betrayed by the results of SFX’s best moments poll.
Genre magazine SFX recently celebrated its 250th issue with a poll hoping to create a “definitive” list of the 250 greatest moments in sci-fi, fantasy and horror. Nearly 100,000 reader votes were tallied, and though you’ll have to buy the magazine to get the full list, SFX revealed the top 10 moments on its web site yesterday. So, what came out on top?
The emotional ending of “Doomsday,” the final episode of the second series of Doctor Who‘s revival, in which David Tennant’s Tenth Doctor makes a last-ditch effort to say goodbye to his companion Rose Tyler (Billie Piper) after she was left trapped in a parallel universe. “Burning up a sun just to say goodbye,” the Doctor projects an image of himself into Rose’s new universe to share a few final words with her, while she uses the moment to confess her love to him.
It’s a victory for Doctor Who fans everywhere! Check out the full article on Blastr, and in the meantime, here’s the complete list:
1. DOCTOR WHO The Doctor and Rose say farewell at Bad Wolf Bay in “Doomsday”
2. AVENGERS ASSEMBLE “Puny god!” The Hulk owns Loki
3. ALIEN The chestburster
4. FIREFLY Mal Reynolds kicks a bad guy into Serenity’s engine intake (“The Train Job”)
5. STAR WARS: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK Luke learns that Darth Vader is his father
6. BLADE RUNNER Roy Batty’s “Tears in rain” speech
7. GAME OF THRONES The Red Wedding: “The Lannisters send their regards”
8. THE MATRIX Neo dodges bullets in the bullet-time scene
9. HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE Dumbledore’s death
10. BACK TO THE FUTURE “Where we’re going, we don’t need roads”